My name is Carrie and I am living in India serving at Sarah's Covenant Homes, an orphanage for abandoned children with physical and developmental disabilities. I am a foster mama to twelve beautiful girls with special needs. They bring me incredible amounts of joy! I feel so blessed that God has called me to live this life.

*The children's blog names (not their real names) are used online to protect their privacy.

"I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you." John 14:18


Sunday, August 3, 2014

My Beautiful Birthday Girl


Isn't she just radiant? Paula's thirteenth birthday was yesterday (August 2nd)! For nearly a week before, I would Skype her from Hyderabad and Paula would scream "Happy birthday! Happy birthday Paula!" As soon as I got home on Friday morning she started singing the birthday song as she scooted towards me. The look of excitement on her face was like a child on Christmas Eve. She COULD NOT wait! 

I bought her a half saree for the birthday. We went to pick out the fabric on Friday afternoon and the SCH tailor stitched it for her! Before her party I helped her dress up and do her hair. One of our nurses here gave her a brand new pair of earrings and some girls serving here for a month bought her hair flowers! 


Before the party my friends Elise and Shawna helped me decorate the roof of our building! We hung balloons and streamers as well as a birthday collage consisting of banners and pictures of Paula! There was music playing that consisted of Paula's favorite songs. 


Paula opened two gifts from some of the short term volunteers who are at SCH right now. They got her a pair of new gold bangles and gold anklets! Let me tell you - she LOVED it! I got her cake out as we all sang Happy Birthday! Paula blew out the candles and laughed as everyone clapped for her. We all had some cake and Paula took pictures with everyone who came to her party! 


After her party, we took Paula to eat dinner at Ramya (a nice restaurant in town). The members of the team serving here helped me carry Paula and her wheelchair up steps, and into autos. I wanted the night to be all about Paula because she deserves it. 

Paula is the most joyful child I have ever known. She has faced so many hard things in her life, yet she never complains. She climbs stairs every day with a smile on her face. She sings at the top of her lungs, claps with enthusiasm, and strikes up conversations with anyone who passes. Paula is very aware of her disability, and I can tell it bothers her that she isn't as physically able as her sisters and friends. She often times get overshadowed or left behind just because she can't keep up.

Seeing the joy on her face when we did everything to serve HER specifically made me cry. Paula was SO joyful. She was absolutely radiant and glowing. Paula was beautiful, inside and out. 


Would you consider getting Paula a birthday present? Paula needs monthly sponsors. She currently doesn't have any sponsors which means all of her living expenses are being taken out of SCH's general fund. We'd like this money to be used solely for emergency medical expenses, and administrative costs. If you choose to sponsor Paula, I will personally Skype you with her! You can meet her, talk, and get to know this beautiful girl! 

Paula's sponsorship is $200 a month and $50 a month for school expenses. But you can partially sponsor her at $40 a month! I really want to see Paula get fully sponsored soon, because this radiant girl deserves it.



Happy 13th Birthday beautiful girl! It's nice to have such a joyful teenager in the house! 




No comments:

Post a Comment